errr.... I mean....
I ran the marathon yesterday and I finished!!!!
Woo!
It seems silly to be excited about running my second marathon when SkinnyRunner just completed her 20th marathon AND was the first female finisher.... haha awesome job girl!
I went into this race with no time expectation, or at least that what I was telling people...anyone who is a runner knows that they go into a race yearning to beat their previous time. I'm a little disappointed I came in 6 minutes slower than my first marathon, but I keep reminding myself that I completed a 26.2 mile run before several of my friends even woke up to the lovely Sunday morning hangover.
But enough with the coulda shoulda woulda's .... I ran a marathon yesterday and through my favorite city. It was awesome... well, the first 21 miles....
Marathon Highlights:
- Pre race dinner:
- My running group reserved the downtown YMCA for us to all meet up before the race... which was a PERFECT idea... gave me time to relax in the warm indoors with my running buddies... not to mention use flushable toilets.
- First 6 miles I ran with my friends... we had an awesome, comfortable pace... they stopped early to use the bathroom but while I was waiting I got impatient and decided to venture on
- Got to run through my old college stomping grounds
- Saw my parents 4 times throughout the race
- Around mile 12, I got secretly pissed off at the crowd when they started screaming "1 more mile! You're almost done!" .... I think they forgot there were a few thousand badasses in the race doing the whole sha-bang.
- Saw my roommate's sister and her husband at about mile 14 which totally brightened my mood.... the race pretty much died after the half marathoners finished so it was so great and uplifting to see some familiar faces - Thank you 4's!!!
- Miles 15-20 seemed never-ending.... I was feeling okay but it was tough - lots of long, rolling hills
- After mile 20... I kiiiind of wanted to shoot myself.
- 21-25 was rough... the usual suspect thoughts ran through my head... "F&*$#%@" "Why the hell am I doing this" "This is my last marathon"
- Luckily, I got a temporary mood boost when I saw my roommate and her boyfriend holding these signs:
- I got another little surprise 2 minutes later when I saw my parents.
- Then. I got knocked in the face with a lovely little hill.... why. why race director. why. I know it wasn't big, but it wasn't flat and it wasn't fun.
- My spirits took a turn for the better when I saw the "1/2 mile to go" flag
- I'm pretty sure I had to ran 10 miles to the flag.... and another 15 to see the actual finish line
- Fortunately, the last 0.1 mile was all downhill so I pretty much just had to let my body go
- I crossed the finish line with a little fist pump...
- I was in pain, but was on cloud 9.
- My ankles were barely functioning.
- My thighs were dead.
- My back was beyond tight.
- I just wanted to sit down.
- BUT I spent the next hour walking around trying to find my parents. I finally gave up and decided to walk home, until I FINALLY saw them... who were, for the past hour, waiting back at my apartment. Apparently they thought it'd be okay if I walked home alone after running 26 miles... rookies.
![]() |
| reunited and it feels so good |
Final Time: 4:14.10
Final Thoughts: I love running. I love my family and friends. I'm pumped I finished. I'm satisfied with my time. I think I might do another one.
I called off work today. Oops :)
I need to study for a chem midterm anyway.....
Keep Running,


awwww! girl your second marathon IS a huge accomplishment and that is an AMAZING TIME! totally inspiring to me. and i love that you got to see your fam so often throughout the race! i am sure that was a huge boost! congrats!!! and duh...calling off work was obviously the right thing to do :)
ReplyDelete